Monday, October 3, 2016

TREASURE

This week it was clear to me that I needed to add to my series of felted wool objects, mirroring the collection I set out the first week of class: bathtubs, teapots, pitchers, and buoys.  Teapots are a recurring theme in my work this semester, perhaps because they are a kind of item I most treasure.

At the moment I own more than a few: a soulless glass teapot for making loose green tea, a quirky blue and white porcelain teapot shaped like a duck, and three which each represent one of my grandmothers. When I graduated from university my grandmother gave me the most beautiful silver teapot. She told me not to treasure it but to use it everyday so that it wouldn't tarnish. Since then, I have added to my collection a white teapot with a star emblem that my paternal grandmother kept in her china cabinet and a giant Mexican stoneware teapot which my Nana owned. This was the item I chose to take from her apartment after she recently died.

So, it was clear to me that I needed to make a felted teapot this week. 

Last week Robin demonstrated to me that my felted bathtubs actually hold water. Unfortunately, the teapot this week has no openings. It is larger than the bathtubs and, the way I was working, it needed to be solid in order to hold it's shape.

Again, I think the result is part-animal and part-object.


No comments:

Post a Comment