These days I am not without ideas for projects. After last week's class I had a plan to make new felted shapes that were perhaps more primitive, less finished, more imaginative. I think I will come back to that idea, but this week I got sidetracked by a canvas I found on the side of the road. I have been wanting to try to paint and sometimes it's easier to start a new project with something less daunting than a blank canvas.
After I spray painted the canvas white I started to really like the painting. I liked the little bits of colour that came through and how the lack of subject highlighted the original artist's application of paint. I was ready to just leave it at that but my boyfriend thought that would be plagiarism. I started to add more white paint, creating my own subjects and textures. I lay it flat on my desk and it became a sandbox, then a swimming pool. I though of painting water and making little boats. The collage cutout became a dock (very likely inspired by Alfred Wallis's work last week).
Maybe I should have followed my inclination to make the painting into a diorama, somewhere between an architectural model and a doll house. I suppose I wanted to challenge myself to keep painting. There aren't any 3D objects sticking through the canvas and it feels less like an imaginary landscape and more like a flat still life.
(in the style of Lucy and Liz)

No comments:
Post a Comment