Tuesday, October 18, 2016

ROUND

    bathtub bar of soap 



There is something undeniably compelling about colour and light. I was reminded of this while looking at Rachel Whitereads's work. I like her casts, and the idea of inversions. I really like her play with translucency, material, and colour. Materials that can bend colour, that change as you move around them. 

I have used soap before. The lower image is a portion of an architecture model I made.  I had intended to use epoxy resin as a base, but soap seemed to better suit my trial and error way of working. I placed different objects between the layers of melted soap to build up the illusion of deep swampy water. Where the purity of resin would have showed, even magnified each particulate, soap creates a soft, blurry, even painterly effect. 

This week I set out to experiment more with soap and colour.  Each bathtub uses materials from previous work I've done this semester (the things scattered around my desk): my favourite blue transparency, cut up magazine clippings, tiny bits of acrylic paint peeled off of my pallet, and wool. I think the wool is the most successful, the different shades seem to melt together in the soap, and as Tony said, appear like the water in the bathtub without the bathtub. 







No comments:

Post a Comment