Tuesday, September 27, 2016

MEND





Listening to Tony speak abut his experiences living in Poland and how they continue to influence his creativity lead me to think about my time living in Eastern Europe. I've told you about the beautifully stacked fire wood and included a few other pictures of what seemed like exciting peculiarities at the bottom of this post. What I couldn't really capture in pictures is the strong sense of what it means to be Estonian. In my experience there just isn't a paralleled sense of national identity in Canada. 

But really this project comes from my winter boots (valenki) which are made of slightly wild smelling felt protected by removable rubber galoshes.  I thought about Joseph Beuys (who we have looked at a few times in class) and is continued fasciation with materials from his past.  I returned to the familiar form of wonky bathtubs and my love of watery colours. 


a picture of me on my first day in Estonia wearing my valenki







      
Kallaste- ice fishing                                     Kallaste - ice trucks


   

kiiking - estonian sport swinging        Soomaa- fifth season



saaremaa wood stacks




No comments:

Post a Comment