When she was about my age, my mom worked for the artist Evelyn Roth. Roth is a textile artist known for crocheting everything, even a car ("car cozy")which she drove across the country. My mom tells stories of driving with Roth down country roads looking for roadkill they could weave into work. Given her wealth of knowledge and the fact my mom hasn't woven anything since working with Roth, I thought her recent visit would be a good opportunity to tryout weaving.
Here are some images of Evelyn Roth and her work.
For my first attempt I used materials gathered around my apartment: Kitchen twine, a town up tote bag, acrylic sticks, and the pink plastic bag onions came in. I wanted to try and learn the technique through small experiments before attempting to alter or manipulate it. Since completing my piece, my mom has sent me numerous text messages saying that it needs to be more three-dimensional, that there should be some copper wire sticking out, or candy woven in. I'll take this advice to heart on my second attempt.
(I'm not sure how to take it off the loom....)



No comments:
Post a Comment