Tuesday, September 13, 2016

MEANDER





Hockney spent many years painting swimming pools, exploring the theme through media, and depicting the water in different ways.  Not only do I find his studies of swimming pools beautiful, I am also fascinated by the evolution of the theme across so many modes of representation. 

In the images I have chosen as inspiration this week, Hockney paints the surface of the water onto the bottom of the pool. When the pool is filled the painted lines appear on the surface of the water, made two-dimensional, as if the pool is actually taken from one of Hockney's paintings. 

In some small way, Hockney's swimming pools affected my decision to study in California. I looked out from the ninth floor of Wurster Hall, saw the outdoor swimming pools that litter campus, and thought, I want to live in this utopia where people swimming in sunny turquoise water all year round


my plastic watering can with decoupage, tape, acrylic medium, and nail lacquer



No comments:

Post a Comment