This week's work is in many ways a continuation of what I pinned up last week when I was thinking about long shadows. I continue to use primitive shapes (squares, rectangles) as a means to explore ideas about colour and light (and shadows). For edge I thought about lots of edges and intersecting edges. By applying colour to the acrylic frames my aim was to continue to explore the opportunity for overlap and blending, as well as to highlight the different axes of the forms. The colour can only be read from the top view, it is not transmitted through the cut edges of the acrylic.
This is a work in progress, and as I said in class, it didn't turn out nearly as I envisioned. I plan to make another attempt and update you on the progress.
It was interesting to me that this study was read as feminine. As I mentioned, femininity is something that has come up quite frequently in my studio work, despite never being my intention. Though I don't always feel it's meant as a compliment in the architectural sense. I am interested in exploring femininity and the reasons why the term comes up in discussion of my work. Perhaps femininity in art refers to gentleness, empathy, or beauty: all traits I would be glad to have attached to my work.
update
this is what i wanted to make!



No comments:
Post a Comment